Lynn R. Fiorentino
Lynn Fiorentino is an associate in the White Collar and Investigations group of Arent Fox’s San Francisco office, where she focuses on white collar criminal defense, government investigations, and complex commercial litigation.
Lynn represents clients in the defense of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, False Claims Act, Clean Water Act, theft of trade secrets, Business & Professions Code Section 17200, financial fraud, environmental law and general commercial litigation matters. She has extensive experience defending business organizations, company employees, and witnesses in government investigations and white collar criminal cases, as well as representing corporate clients in multi-party civil cases. Lynn’s broad experience includes conducting witness interviews in white collar matters, governmental investigations, and civil cases; interfacing with state and federal prosecutors; drafting pretrial motions and discovery; arguing motions in state and federal court; and taking and defending depositions of plaintiffs, fact witnesses, corporate representatives, and expert witnesses. In addition, Lynn routinely counsels corporate clients to develop and enhance compliance plans and internal procedures to meet stringent state and local laws. Lynn has criminal and civil trial experience in both state and federal court.
Some of Lynn’s notable representative matters include:
- Representing a pool of employees of a global biotechnology company in an international investigation of the company by the Securities & Exchange Commission and Department of Justice for alleged FCPA violations.
- Leading an internal investigation and managing outside counsel defending employees of global metal recycling corporation during criminal prosecutions arising from alleged metal theft. Representation included interfacing with local prosecutors during criminal proceedings and subsequent Business & Professions Code Section 17200 investigations.
- Successfully representing a medical malpractice insurance carrier in investigation by the Department of Justice for alleged computer invasion of competitor’s secured website; interviewing senior management and high level officers; working with a forensic computer expert to gather and analyze computerized data in defense of claims; and presenting an attorneys’ proffer to the government which resulted in exoneration of the client.
- Representing several foreign material witnesses during a prolonged governmental investigation for alleged Clean Water Act violations from highly publicized maritime accident.
- Member of a trial team achieving a defense verdict in a three-month, multi-million dollar product liability case defending a major American automobile manufacturer and obtaining an order requiring the plaintiff to pay the client over $100,000 in litigation costs.
- Obtaining summary judgment on behalf of a major oil refining corporation in a complex premises liability case in the face of a $750,000 demand.
- Mediating and negotiating a favorable settlement for a global oil company in a multi-million dollar environmental contamination case brought by municipality.
- Representing indigent clients for local Legal Aid Society in securing guardianship petitions for young children and domestic violence restraining orders for victims of domestic abuse.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Lynn was an associate at an international law firm, where she practiced in the Government Investigations & White Collar Defense group. Lynn also spent eight weeks conducting jury trials at the Marin County District Attorney’s office as part of a trial externship program with her prior firm.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Lynn worked for a global pharmaceutical company selling medications to treat diabetes and congestive heart failure.
“Transforming Tort Liability Into Criminal Liability,” Products Liability Law 360, June 2009
- American Bar Association, Member, Criminal Justice Section
- California State Bar Association, Member, Litigation and Criminal Justice Sections
- San Francisco Bar Association
- Member, Bay Area Women's White Collar Criminal Defense Attorneys Group
Blog Posts by Lynn R. Fiorentino
On April 22, 2013, the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) and United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) announced that fashion powerhouse Ralph Lauren Corporation (RLC) has agreed to pay $1.6 million collectively to resolve allegations of misconduct under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) for allegedly bribing government officials in Argentina to obtain improper customs clearance of merchandise and for illicitly providing expensive gifts to Argentine officials to secure the importation of RLC’s products into Argentina. The FCPA prohibits improper payments to foreign officials to secure business advantages. RLC discovered and timely self-reported the misconduct to US authorities after the violations surfaced during an internal investigation in 2010. Two non-prosecution agreements (NPA) were struck; one with the DOJ and the other with the SEC.
ABOUT ARENT FOX LLP
Arent Fox LLP, founded in 1942, is internationally recognized in core practice areas where business and government intersect. With more than 350 lawyers, the firm provides strategic legal counsel and multidisciplinary solutions to clients that range from Fortune 500 corporations to trade associations. The firm has offices in Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and Washington, DC.