Andrew I. Silfen
Andrew Silfen is the managing partner of Arent Fox's New York office and chair of the Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring Group. He has extensive experience in all aspects of financial restructuring, distressed situations and bankruptcy issues. Andrew has a renowned practice representing creditors’ committees, indenture trustees, agents and bondholders in bankruptcy proceedings, as well as acquirors of and investors in troubled, distressed, and bankrupt companies. Andrew has extensive experience representing strategic and control investors. His practice also includes counseling companies’ boards of directors and management on insolvency matters, crisis management and financial and operational restructurings. Over the past several years Andrew has been involved in the oil, gas and exploration sectors. Andrew has played a prominent role in large and small restructurings and bankruptcies throughout the United States, and his broad-based practice and experience has enabled him to devise unique and innovative solutions to complex matters.
Andrew’s recent matters have included:
- Representation of creditors' committees in high-profile bankruptcy proceedings in such industries as oil and gas; energy; mining; publishing; manufacturing; retail; automotive; telecommunications and integrated communications providers; e-commerce, internet and technology; retail; sub-prime lending; marketing; health care; life sciences; and hotel and hospitality.
- Representation of creditors' committee in the bankruptcy proceeding of Cengage Learning, Inc. Cengage filed for Chapter 11 protection on July 2, 2013, with approximately $7.5 billion in assets, making it the largest Chapter 11 filing of 2013. Cengage emerged from bankruptcy on March 31, 2014.
- Representation of an indenture trustee and/or collateral agents in Vantage Drilling Company, Sabine Oil & Gas Corp., BPZ Energy, Inc., LINN Energy, L.L.C., Halcon Resouces Corp., LINC USA GP, Endeavor Operations Corporation, Goodrich Petroleum Corp., Dynegy Holdings LLC, Caesars Entertainment Operation Company, Washington Mutual, Inc., ATA Airlines, Plainwell Inc., Dana Corporation, R.H. Donnelley Corp., Simmons Company, Fremont General Corporation, Propex Inc., Pliant Corporation, TOUSA, Inc., HomeBanc Corp., Portrait Corporation of America Inc., Vesta Insurance Group Inc., United Air Lines, Silver State Bancorp, Maxxim Medical and Lodgian Inc. bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representation of bondholders in Exide bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented transportation and midstreamer counterparties in Bonanza Creek, Inc. bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented The Continental Insurance Company in chapter 15 proceedings of Hanjin Shipping Co.
- Representation of sellers and purchasers of debt and equity positions of troubled, distressed and bankrupt business entities and acquirors and purchasers of assets of insolvent and bankrupt entities in such industries as metals manufacturing; telecommunications; cosmetics manufacturing; e-commerce and technology; and hospitality.
- Representation of Official Retired Employees Committee in Eastman Kodak Company bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representation of lenders, secured creditors, equity holders, venture capitalists, and investors in out-of-court workouts, in-court and non-judicial reorganizations and restructurings and bankruptcy proceedings, as well as bankruptcy-related litigation in such industries as retail; wholesale; manufacturing; airlines; real estate; health care; e-commerce; technology and telecommunication; metals; publishing and media; and hospitality, resort and hotel.
- Advising financially healthy companies on implementing changes in their capital structure to enhance enterprise value.
- Representation of court-appointed fiduciaries such as creditor trustees, liquidation trustees and plan administrators.